About Me

I am a 42 yr old mother to 3 beautiful children, ages 19, 15,and 9. (two have type 1 diabetes.) I am married to my best friend for over 18 yrs. My life has been amazingly turned around by the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. Life is busy & difficult at times, but I try to remember how very blessed we are. This blog is where I talk about homemaking, homeschooling, struggles we face with our daughter and the challanges of day to day life with juvenile diabetes.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Our home schooling plans...

I have finally worked out our home school schedule for this coming year. I am blessed to have most of the books for the older children, Cadens total curriculum will cost around $140.00, very well priced for the quality of the program. I have chosen beyond little hearts for his glory for him. I recommend anyone looking for a Christ centered, complete, engaging & hands on program that's easy for mom to use to check it out.
so here's what it is looking like...

dd- 10th grade
language arts:
World literature - abeka
Editor in chief - critical thinking co. (grammar skills)
Spelling & vocab. - abeka (this is under grade level for her but is plenty challenging for her skill level.)
Writing lessons in structure & style - institute for excellence in writing.
math: Geometry - BJU
history: Geography - BJU
science:
Exploring the world of chemistry, will still need addition chemistry with labs. I will most likely go with apologia science. I may look into what is offered at the local community college.
Knowing creation a nature study
she will also be working on life skills: household management, banking, cooking & shopping.

ds - 7th grade
language arts:
God's gift of language - abeka ( used for grammar instruction)
Spectrum reading workbook - chosen for the strong use of vocab. instruction
Spelling & usage - hearthstone curriculum
Writing lessons in structure & style ( I will be combining writing )
He will also have daily reading time covering selections from the following genres: biography, adventure, historical fiction, fantasy, mystery, nonfiction, humor, realistic fiction & folk tale
math: Life pac 7th- alpha omega
history: Geography - BJU ( I will combine this subject )
science:
Considering God's creation
106 days creation study
We are looking into at least one of the following: karate or music lessons, boy scouting.

ds - 1st grade
using Heart of Dakota, beyond little hearts with daily lessons in: history, poetry, geography/ science, bible, copy work/spelling, reading & math.
history resources are - American pioneers & patriots, Stories of the pilgrims, Boys & girls of colonial days. ( all christian liberty press)
science resource - God's wonderful works ( christian liberty press)
reading made easy for phonics instruction.
math: Horizons - alpha omega

Also we will be attending our local home school co-op each week for Tuesday school activities.
It looks like a busy year, I am so happy that I will have them all home next year :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY, I didn't know you'd have them all home! Happy New School Year! I'm enjoying planning myself!

PS Congrats on making it through Intro To Algebra! Hubby and I are taking it in the Fall. I hate Math, but don't tell my children. *wink*